Monday, January 4, 2010

Living Mac, Working Windows

I spent most of my career working on Microsoft Windows-based PC's - programming superb Excel macros, but enduring the endless maintenance, system crashes and sketchy security that all PC owners must put up with.  I envied those with Macintosh laptops and their 6 hour batteries, complete lack of viruses, and beautiful hardware, with just about all the productivity software you could ever want pre-installed!  Unfortunately, the business world of which I was a part uses Excel on Windows.  I could not leave Windows because of the need to maintain file compatibility with my client base.

When Apple announced the Intel-based Macs, and the ability to run Windows through virtualization, I made the jump with enthusiasm.  Suddenly, my personal computing experience transformed from constant discomfort to effortless joy - no exaggeration!  For a while I thought I'd even be able to do my work in Excel for Mac, as the 2003 version supported VBA, but it was not really 100% compatible, and VBA has been removed from the latest Mac Office, to the dismay of switchers everywhere!  (Microsoft claimed that the new Mac Office 2008 required such a complete re-write that it would be impossible to update the VBA engine... Of course, if they had more that 3 programmers on the job it might be feasible, but we all know how much Mr. Balmer and Co. care about supporting the Apple platform.)

But using Parallels, (or VMWare Fusion, which I hear is also excellent) one can run Windows XP along side the usual Macintosh applications.   Now I can develop Excel macros in the latest version of Excel for Windows, knowing that my code will run on my clients' computers, while still enjoying the superior personal computing experience that only Macs can give.  Switching between the two OS's is instantaneous - no reboot is required.  If you run dual monitors, you can even show them both side-by-side.

My computer is the tool of my trade - it must be enjoyable to use every day, or else the trade becomes a painful chore.  Thanks Parallels (and Apple, and MS Office 2003 for Windows), for allowing me to have the best of both worlds.  Instead of quarterly OS re-installs, shoddy shareware, and Outlook viruses, I have Garage Band, bluetooth iPhone tethering, a mag-safe power cord, and a lighted keyboard!  If you have the option, I strongly recommend porting your life (if not your business software) to Mac.


1 comment:

  1. This post is not ad-sponsored, nor do I have any affiliation with any products or companies mentioned. -sb

    ReplyDelete